Monday, January 10, 2011

Back in business

Well I'm back in the swing of things with my nose to the grindstone. Classes started last Monday much to my dismay. I was excited to see all my PT buddies and get away from 8 hour shifts at the mall but I definitely wasn't ready for all the reading and studying that school brought with it. I hope to get back to posting regularly now that I'm back on a schedule during the week. I have a bunch of stuff from my break and Christmas to share. But for now I present to you Elvis cookies (or what happens when you start running out of everything in the middle of baking): Elvis cookies I noticed at lunch today that the banana that I had thrown into my lunchbox a few days ago had gotten quite beat-up. I contemplated making my go to banana cookies, but I was craving something a little different. (side note: before heading home for Christmas I had stopped into the gourmet dog store in the mall and found dog treats to take to Cosmo they were banana and peanut butter flavored. I thought at the time that it was cookie form of my favourite quick breakfast.) So of course today I thought bad bananas + peanut butter was still the best idea ever. I wasn't sure if I could just add peanut butter or sub it for something in my normal recipe so I started looking around online. I found a blog called Siriously Delicious that had a recipe for chocolate chip peanut butter banana cookies. I decided to give it a whirl (I wasn't craving chocolate, but what the hell couldn't hurt). Well I started mashing bananas and got out my margarine to soften when I realized I didn't have a full stick of butter, so I threw in a few tablespoons of vegetable shortening. I got those together in a bowl and went to grab my peanut butter only to see that I had less PB than I remembered making it only about 1/4 of a cup instead of 1/2. I started scrambling around for what I could do ( I should also add that theres a nice snow storm involving 8" of snow happening outside making me unwilling to go to the store). After some looking through the cupboards and online to see what can be substituted for PB, I decided to use Nutella. Because of the Nutella I decided not to put chocolate chips in for fear of the other flavors being overpowered. Ingredients The first batch didn't come out very well, they flattened out too much and got a little burnt on the bottom. I threw in more flour which helped a lot (you can see the difference in the pic above). Dough Hopefully you'll be hearing from me again soon. I'm crossing my fingers for a snow day tomorrow although we were the only ones that didn't have one today, so I'm not holding my breath. BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments:

Post a Comment